This week, Sam and Adam discuss the bombshell news regarding Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega’s enormous match at New Japan Pro’s “WrestleKingdom 12” on January 4th, Triple H showing up at Insane Championship Wrestlig in Scotland, and the recent string of WWE releases.
The Diabolical Duo also discuss the marketing campaign behind the upcoming Eminem album, “Revival”, and the state of the popular DC series “Gotham”.
As always, a strong sense of humor and listener discretion is advised.
WWE released three talents from NXT deals this morning
Josh Woods – A former national wrestling champion, amateur MMA fighter and 4-time All American who wrestled for UCF. Woods had worked under a mask on NXT events and worked under his real name on NXT TV but was never in any role beyond putting over other talents.
ZZ Loupe – The biggest name of the trio who were released, ZZ, 20, went all the way to the finals of the 2014 incarnation of “Tough Enough” thanks to his personality becoming popular with viewers. He was signed despite not winning and was featured on the WWE Network’s “Breaking Ground” reality series, which focused on NXT talents. He never made his NXT TV debut. He had been presented on each series as lacking the motivation to get himself conditioned enough as a pro wrestler. Very young, it’s always possible he may get another look down the line, especially if he hits the independent scene and makes a buzz for himself on that level. Loupe’s release was first reported by ProWrestlingSheet.com.
Tom Kingdon – Hired in April 2015, Kingdon, 29, was a former standout for Traverse City, Michigan West High School’s football team and a former champion bodybuilder before being signed. He had been working live events but I don’t believe made it to WWE NXT TV.
WWE announced on Friday that they have released Santino Marella, Cameron, Zeb Colter, El Torito,Alex Riley and Hornswoggle. WWE issued the following:
WWE has come to terms on the release of WWE Superstars Damien Sandow, King Barrett, Santino Marella, Cameron, Hornswoggle, Alex Riley, El Torito and Zeb Colter as of today, Friday, May 6, 2016. WWE wishes them the best in all of their future endeavors.
As we all know, WWE always reviews the talents following each WrestleMania and begins a releasing spree in May of each year. This year is no different as WWE have releases and may continue to release talents well into today.
WWE is still planning on bringing in a new set of prospects in September and another in January. However, they’re going to need to free up some room and that’s why releases are expected. The releases are expected to affect mainly the NXT talent who are rumored to be on the chopping block and that the releases are expected to take place over the course the next month and to expect at least a dozen cuts by the end of the year.
Developmental coaches were recently asked to submit reports on who they think should stay and who they think should go. No word on what those reports look like, but they’ll be something WWE executives will go over as they make roster decisions for the fall then winter.
According to Reddit user MetsFan4Ever, who has broken WWEnews in the past, says that more WWE releases could be happening soon.
As we previously reported earlier, The Great Khali has been released from WWE, and Brad Maddox’s name has been moved to the WWE Alumni page. Backstage speculation in WWE is that Maddox will also be released.
MetsFan4Ever noted the following:
“I’ve heard releases are coming. [Great Khali] is probably the start of things. I’ve been told about a few. But I don’t want to speculate as of right now.”
For Superstars like Zack Ryder, Fandango, Justin Gabriel, David Otunga, Curtis Axel, Tamina Snuka, and possibly even Christian, this may mean that their time in the WWE could very well possibly end real soon.
There’s a lot of concern among some of the WWE talents who haven’t regularly been appearing on TV. With WWE holding their latest earnings call on Thursday, there’s some fear that another round of releases may be coming.
Alberto Del Rio will reportedly be doing media appearances in the United States soon to go into more details about what happened with his WWE departure. Del Rio’s representatives have contacted indie wrestling promoters in the US and said that Del Rio will be taking bookings for autograph signings and matches in the US very soon because he doesn’t feel that WWE’s one-year non-compete that keeps him from doing MMA and pro wrestling, while not paying him, will hold up in court. Del Rio’s asking price for indie bookings is said to be extremely high.
Del Rio has been upset about WWE’s social media worker Cody Barbierri not being fired for the incident they were involved in but for legal reasons, hasn’t been saying anything like that publicly. At first Del Rio was going to speak out in the US media but decided against it. Now, his lawyers have reportedly given him the green light to speak out in the US.
It was also reported by those close to the situation that when Triple H called Del Rio about the departure, he told Del Rio to keep his nose clean and when the heat died down, they would re-hire him in 6 months. Del Rio said he wasn’t interested in coming back. Top stars including Big Show, Randy Orton and John Cena all told Del Rio that they would push for him to be re-hired because most of the locker room was sympathetic to what had happened. Again, Del Rio made it clear he didn’t want to come back.